1 Day Case Study: Maxing Out the GoDaddy Servers with a Migration Plugin

We’ve had a lot of issues with this with GoDaddy over the years (go figure). We have continued to still let clients who already had GoDaddy use them as a host mainly because we don’t want to have to get into IT work with migrating people’s email accounts when they get set up on GoDaddy’s proprietary email client.

So that’s our excuse.

One memorable time when all hell broke loose during a 1 Day + website thanks to GoDaddy was when we were building a website for Nutzy Mutz & Crazy Cats, a quirky pet supply store.

The site was a 1 Day + site because they needed ecommerce, including an integration with Lightspeed, their POS system. But even though the client wasn’t expecting the site to be DONE that day, the pressure was still on.

About a week before the 1 Day, we used All in One WP Migration Plugin to transfer our base installation to the client’s GoDaddy account. We did have some timing out issues, but we were eventually able to get a demo site ready on the server.

Everything seemed to be working fine ahead of time, but during 1 Day the server kept kicking us off. Someone would be working on a page or doing some theming, and then they would just lose the site connection, and worse, some of the work they had been doing.

After that happened several times, we finally called GoDaddy. They told us we had reached our resource limits on the account. When we logged in to the cPanel to check it out, we could see that the resources peaked a week before when we were doing the Base Installation.

Basically anything hard that we tried to do after that, including have multiple people logged in and making changes, was triggering the resource limit warning. The client got several of these emails:

Maxing out the GoDaddy hosting account email

In a panic, we tried to use the All in One WP Migration plugin to migrate the site back to our own testing server on Flywheel so we could continue working on it. But alas, the plugin kept timing out (not enough resources!)

We ended up just exporting the database and theme settings manually and working on the site on our other server for most of the day. In the meantime, we had the client upgrade their account to a Business Hosting plan, which supposedly was going to give them more resources. It fixed the problem for a bit, but when we tried to sync all the 3,000 products from their Lightspeed POS system, once again we ran into resource limits.

Key Lessons Learned:

Don’t let your clients use GoDaddy. It’s the worst. We should have known better, especially for a site that was so hard working.

If you must use GoDaddy, we recommend manually installing your base installation or working on the site on your own hosting account until you are ready to put it live.